Sunday, February 5, 2012

I will date the girl from VENUS!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zeydjADyM7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think They Might Be Giants have some of the best metaphors in music. Every once and awhile when they do talk about relationships it seems to imply a sort of wistful sadness and joy in it.

Just these lines:
"I will date the girl from venus
flowers die and so will I
I will date the girl from venus
for science!"

It reminds me quite a bit of End of the Tour

"At the end of the tour
when the road disappears
if there's any more people around
when the tour runs aground
and if you're still around then we'll meet at the end of the tour

the engagements are booked through the end of the world
so we'll meet at the end of the tour"

The imagery in that captures me so completely. For me it symbolizes the never ending quest for meaning, and how you keep thinking maybe when you achieve it you would find what you've been looking for as well. But the tour never ends. At times it can feel like life will go on forever.

The final lines of the song are:
"And we're never gonna tour again, no we're never gonna tour again."

No comments:

Post a Comment