Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Does God Show Up?

I thought it might interest some of my readers that I searched this term before beginning to write. What I found in the end was the same dreck I've been wading through for months.

First come those who are certain. There are many articles about how faithful God is, how he loves us, which I have spent countless pages explaining is little comfort to those of us still waiting. Then there are those that have given up on God, who are trying to pull down everyone they can to complain how God didn't do whatever for them.

Both miss the mark for me.

I don't ask this question because I don't know who God is or what he is capable of. Take note of the word capable, we'll come back to that. I don't have any doubt that there is a God, or that he loves me. I doubt what's going to happen next, because no one can tell me anything useful. It seems much the purpose of most of the drivel that comes out when people talk about the walk of faith to fill your mind with stupor so that you must say "it's too big for me to understand, let God work this out". Which of course spits intellectual seekers of the faith right out.

The other side holds no appeal either. I do not desire to be a quitter. The pure science approach doesn't work because in science there is no hope for the poor and the hopeless. Life simply goes on. In this approach good and bad don't happen for any reason.

I want to talk more about the word capable. How do I know God is capable? He has been before and he doesn't change. I will say right now that means exactly squat when you are hurting. Knowing there are firemen and that they have hoses makes no difference when your house is burning down. I have seen him in other's lives. I have even on some occasions seen him work in my life. What I wouldn't give to see that now and in response to my living needs and prayers.

I had a moment last night to mourn the passing away of my previous hopes and dreams. Again I came back to wondering where God is. For so long I could not imagine how I could stop seeking and stop believing that certain things would happen. I believed so fervently that God would answer my prayer. Yet, here I am, poor and hopeless, with about as much chance of seeing my dream as I do of being given a new car. In these times as those dreams begin to drift away like a ship in the wind, never to return.



It's not impossible for God to show up. Not even a little bit. I will say even more that God is even more capable when my pride is down. In fact almost anything he might do in my life would be an improvement.

I do not see him, and that doesn't mean he's not there. I'm waiting for the day to post how God showed up and kicked butt in my life. Nothing short of my dreams rising again from the dead would make me as happy as being able to write about the abundant and everlasting blessings God brings to my life. May what I describe now in the abstract become the real, and may the pain I feel now become abstract and foreign to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment