Monday, January 2, 2012

realities of nicotine

Alright, first of all I'm coming at this as a hardened smoker. As I consider myself a hardened drinker, so hardened that I will stop drinking for months to appear to be not addicted, same goes for smoking. However, after three days without a smoke... it started to get to me.
I threw myself into the smoker filled environment I worked in, into another stressful weekend, the one rule? No smoke. Why? because I wanted one. Three days ago I wanted to smoke. Incidentally I'm smoking right now.

Upon realizing that I had a craving, and realizing I had smoked every day for two weeks, I determined that I was dangerously near the line of "Addicted." I entered smoking with the express intention of not being addicted. I hate the term addicted. Obsessed? That's ok, obsession and madness go hand in hand, and we've already determined I'm slightly mad. But addiction... it's just wrong. people look down on it. Bad connotations. However I have similar... problems... with sugar. Simple sugar, nothing illegal about it. However I consume more sugar than anyone should, more sugar and more fat. My body is starting to reflect that. Not so much that you would generally notice, especially since no one loves me and wants to get me naked. However I am doubtless overconsuming sugar. I think that covers my problems with things that "work" to get my body to do the things that it must for me to function. I will overindulge in almost anything that is functional in keeping me feeling alive. Milk, tobacco, benedryl, sugary treats. None of this stuff is "good" for me but it gets the job done of making me FEEL like I'm surviving. Anyway the point is that this is a fledgeling dependency on tobacco, one that can't endure simply because my pocketbook can't take buying tobacco once a week. Even at 5 bucks a hit that's too much. So further cutbacks will be done. These include substituting more healthy varieties (traditional pipe smoking), as well as going at least 3 days a week without smoking. Oh and no smoking due to stressors. Stress related consumption is the cornerstone of addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment