Tuesday, November 22, 2011

is the desktop dead?

http://www.ted.com/talks/roger_mcnamee_six_ways_to_save_the_internet.html

alright, I've been hearing this for years and it's gotten pretty loud, people are saying the desktop is dead. I think that people are predicting a future where the laptop is the most complex as it gets. Go to a best buy, the front displays are for smart phones, ipads and laptops. But not to worry. I don't think desktops will ever REALLY die. As far as being a mass consumable? yeah, dead for awhile. Geez the desktop as I grew up to know it was dead 7 years ago. I remember when you needed to spend a major afternoon just to assemble your desktop. Where installing software was an evening's activity. Those days are over. But the days of tower PCs? just started. The problem with all these fancy new gadgets that everybody has little joygasms over is that they are limited. Tiny keyboards and touchscreens. And they have you convinced you want this. Furthermore the processing power, while impressive, is tiddlywinks compared to a GOOD desktop. I could design, and am working on designing a desktop that outstrips everything else on the market. Not to sell mind you, I'm just turned on by power. You're never going to see power in tablet PCs. What's more I'm turned on by perminence. I invest HUNDREDS yearly trying to keep my data system alive. The fact of the matter is that I need a PC to do it. A desktop. Because we are on the forefront of a revolution in data and phones are missing the boat. All these devices are missing the data boat. Because good data management relies on one thing: expandability. My laptop has 3 USB ports, 2.0 at that and that limits my amount of data I can touch at about 4 Terrabytes. That's alot, but then it's not, not at that speeds and not from a laptop. The interface is subpar. Having it on the go and in any room in the house? worth the investment but it will never suffice as a primary computer. I could go build a computer right now for under 1k that could access with ease over 10 Terabytes of data at speeds that would make you cry. Run as many programs as needed. And best of all it would last 5 years. The average lifetime of laptops is 2, because we burn these damn things out. That's not enough. There are enough people out there like me that feel the same. Because we aren't all tech whores who want to bend over and take it from apple. In 5 more years I'm going to buy a tablet. After I finish designing a supercomputer to run my data network and after I have access to that data in every room in my house. After I program my locks to run by computer, after I design satisfactory security and cameras that I can see anywhere from anywhere in my house. And when I design and do all that it won't be on a laptop, it won't be on a smartphone and it won't be on a tablet. It will be on a PC, from a PC. The original and BEST designed tool for the job. And it always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment