Monday, February 17, 2014

windows 8 joys

Add three things my windows 8 laptop is prone to do that I would really rather a computer NEVER do:
1: not allow me to type or perform low level (word processing) tasks while it has internet or other issues. To clarify for various reasons I used a computer as my only composition tool, and have always tried to find the sturdiest computer for this reason. Computers have been word processing for over 30 years, this should be something fairly simple.
2: Random and forced updates and reboots. Nothing like really sinking your teeth into work (or play) and finding out you have 15 minutes to get off so that the computer can install vital updates. When did these updates become so vital? Couldn't I do them when I'm not on battery and working? Alas no I am informed. It must be now. Then I lose half an hour when I'm on a deadline.
3: Rearrange my shortcuts while I'm trying to use them. Nothing changes a would be professional morning into a very embarrassing morning like switching my link for wikipedia with tumbler, or youtube, or some other site with video and or music. my classmates can ignore my frantic research to figure out the answers to life's driving questions, but not "What does the fox say?"...... thanks again windows.

On a personal note it WASN'T tumbler or youtube that switched with an innocent webpage. It was something that would have been blocked by the school server. However still embarrassing.

Some of these might be software problems, but so far my experience with windows 8 sums up with simply : Don't install it. Windows 7 works, and does far fewer goofy things in a week than my laptop has done in a morning.
For my fellow geeks I am running 8.0 on an Asus machine with an intel i7 and a decent amount of ram. I am waiting with less and less patience to perform a backup and install linux side by side with win 8. Until then, I am at Microsoft's mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment