Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Punk rock girl

I've been listening to a few old songs, thinking about love.
A quick update before I go into the songs and what they mean to me:
Over the last few days the good Lord and I have been conversing on my problems in life and he revealed to me that I shouldn't date local women. Therefor I am to wait for the move.... I don't want to go too far into any of this. I did contact Sarah, my Sarah, the Sarah that was a treasure to my heart and whom I really loved. Who really loved me and made me a better man. She has yet to respond, though I know she received it. *le sigh*
Our first song has to do with a kind of woman I have wanted a long time, a punk rock girl:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZyaK3jo4Sl4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some lyrics that jump out at me:
"Please look at me, what do you see?"
So often we want to see ourselves through the eyes of one who not only loves us but is attracted to us.
"You took me to your parents for a Sunday meal. Your father took one look at me and he began to squeal."
It goes without saying that parental approval is an issue on both sides of the fence.

"We got into a car away we started rollin, I said how much you pay for this? She said nothing man it's stolen."
Personally I desire a woman with such a flip attitude towards life. I know one, but she's not attracted to men, more's the pity.


The next song I have been listening to since I discovered music:
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h3tvB8XFG3g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OH MY GOSH IF THIS LAPTOP DOESN'T STOP DOING RANDOM THINGS I WILL THROW IT OUT THE WINDOW AND SMASH IT WITH A HAMMER!!! *pant* *pant*

Side note: Windows 8 + Laptop=not a happy.

ALRIGHT! If the operating system and equipment will let me express myself we will continue. (linux never acted like a putz like this...)

So many metaphors to discuss so we will start at the beginning. It took the entire song playing through just to get that out. 

"There's a girl with a crown and a scepter, who's on WLSD and she says that the scene isn't what it's been and she's thinking of going home. That it's old and it's totally over now."
To me this brings a powerful vision, of a girl waiting for me out there somewhere. The crown and scepter represent her being materially secure. And in the opening message of the song the girl states it as my life so clearly is. The situation isn't as good as it was, and it's time for it to be over.

"I can see myself, at the end of the tour, when the road disappears, if there's any more people around when the tour runs aground and if you're still around then we'll meet at the end of the tour"
It connects to a vision. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel where there's no more work to be done, when the hard part is over. I hope beyond hopes that someone waits there for me.
"The engagements are booked through the end of the world so we'll meet at the end of the tour"

And this brings it back to the present. The work doesn't seem to come to an end. It stretches out before us seemingly until mankind ends. But we must keep on in our sisyphussian struggle to reach the end, because there's something really worth it there.

Which brings me around to a side point. Tonight I went to church, as I have been doing quite a bit lately. The preacher got a few things wrong when it comes to my point of view. One is a worldview that requires that science be entirely wrong for God to be great. I don't live there. I believe in evolution and he liked attacking that. It's ok, if that makes him feel more secure in being right then he is welcome to do that. It just puts a wall between me and him, not between me and God. I thought it was amusing when he directed me to a verse about us being "Created by God" The translation text said it could also mean set apart. So for the rest of the night every time he said created, I heard set apart, it actually helped temper the lesson to something I can use. The second thing he wanted to go after was the ecclesiastical verses about the futility of life. I know for a fact that comes from people with major issues with pain, that can't handle everything being meaningless. To quote Vonnegut "Anyone unable to understand how a useful religion can be founded on lies won't understand this book either." (Politely lifted both from Cat's Cradle and this article: http://www.strangehorizons.com/2003/20030324/truths.shtml). The ends justify the means friends. If your truth is truth, it shouldn't matter that the universe is full of BS. But some people want to believe there is less BS in the universe. This to me is like denying global warming, evolution, or dark matter (the amusing part is they do)

This next song illustrates the point that in meaninglessness there is comfort:
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VJQnZZ-Wmao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
"This is the worst part: To believe for all the world that you're my precious little girl"
Living in the sublime fantasy that you love someone, and that the are indeed yours in any sense is the worst part. It doesn't seem that way, but if you don't let people in then you don't have that problem.


"No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful
Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful"
If you cannot understand this, you cannot understand my life. The world is full of futility, and being that it is the one thing all mankind shares it is beautiful. We must love it, otherwise why would we keep drawing breath? Getting what you want is a fantasy. The great part is no one gets it. I remember growing up a frequent complaint I had and heard was "That's not fair"
Of course that is an immature childish complaint. However, you cannot deny that there is nothing more fair than the futility of life. Even a rich man has to die someday. No one has the perfect wife, kids, parents, or life. Life has to hurt, that's part of it's point.

Last song:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/je_6koj0Ltw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I heard this driving around today and I loved the wit. My favorite line is this:

"Still don't ask who I choose; either way I would lose
Between beer and women I think
Without beer I go nuts and the ironic part:
Without women there's no reason to drink"

So here it is, a toast to the women who keep the pain sharp enough that I have to block it out. Goodnight kids, we'll talk more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment