Thursday, March 24, 2016

‘What a man can be, he must be. This need we call self-actualization’ Maslow part 1

Today we lay the foundation of everything Maslow has to teach us.

For those of you who don't know Maslow let me explain his ethos. There are a number of approaches to the human mind and treating the sick. Maslow and a man named Rogers began what is known as the Fourth Movement of psychology. They began it almost 50 years ago, yet it still hasn't made inroads very far into therapy. Maslow learned all he could about psychology as it was at the time he came to the field, then attempted to improve.

Like many solutions his was simple and complex at the same time. His solution was to approach sickness not by seeking out the causes, but by motivating humans towards health. This in my opinion is the gold standard of philosophy: don't criticize others, be better, if you are better it will shine above.

Anyway on to the quote:
‘What a man can be, he must be. This need we call self-actualization’

Oh how long I have struggled with his concept of self actualization. I first read about it 4 years ago and have been trying to solve the puzzle that long. I want to try to shorten the time for others.

Self actualization is being all you can be. Did you ever see a really fantastic baseball player? They don't hit EVERY ball, but the ones they don't hit don't bother them. It's called being "in the zone". Christians call it a "mountaintop moment".

Maslow was revolutionary in approaching these brief beautiful moments scientifically. He was a great scientist. I am not, I am a philosopher. More to the shunning and disdain of my academic friends I am a practical philosopher. Most times that bothers people, however in this case I am perfectly in my element. See, even at this moment I am becoming more actualized.

To be actualized fully means to be all you can be (and yes I'm aware that my american audience may roll their eyes at that phrase). There is a great peace to be had in understanding that you are what you are. It means that these mountaintop moments and being in the zone eventually never end. That was his dream, and mine as well.

A final note of the primary flaw in this quote, it's limited nature. Never forget that not only can a person only be all they can be, the same applies to objects. This is why an object will always ultimately fail as an object of worship. Though an object appreciates the attention you give it, and may give rewards (for all good things have rewards to give), when you start treating it as more than it can be you hurt it and yourself. An object cannot love you, only a human can. I am but one human and if you were patient enough to read this far and understand even a portion I love you all the more.

Please share comments, critique, concerns in the comments. If you have something personal to ask then you can email me at max.malcolm@outlook.com. I can't promise the answer you want, but I will answer as long as I have breath and ability. If I ever get backed up this blog is the place to watch. Check the most recent post, if it's more than a month old I'm away from my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment