Thursday, March 24, 2016

Self Challenge/new series intro

Abraham Maslow and Kurt Vonnegut made me who I am today. Kurt taught me sadness, Abraham taught me peace. I could go deep into their biographies, but I want to set off my new life by writing short pieces about wisdom from each man. Our first series will be:

Great Quotes by Maslow, explained and explored

Here is a summary of our topics:
1. ‘What a man can be, he must be. This need we call self-actualization’


2. ‘I was awfully curious to find out why I didn’t go insane’


3. ‘If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail’


4. ‘We may define therapy as a search for value’


5. ‘A first-rate soup is more creative than a second-rate painting’

6. ‘Dispassionate objectivity is itself a passion, for the real and for the truth’


7. ‘The story of the human race is the story of men and women selling themselves short’


8. ‘What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself’


9. ‘It isn’t normal to know what we want. It is a rare and difficult psychological achievement’


10. ‘The ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness’


11. ‘Be independent of the good opinion of other people’


12. ‘We fear to know the fearsome and unsavoury aspects of ourselves, but we fear even more to know the godlike in ourselves’


13. ‘If I were dropped out of a plane into the ocean and told the nearest land was a thousand miles away, I’d still swim. And I’d despise the one who gave up.’


14. ‘If you deliberately plan on being less than you are capable of being, then I warn you that you’ll be unhappy for the rest of your life.’


15. ‘A poet must write if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself’


I would talk more here, but I am excited to bite into our first topic. See you next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment