Thursday, March 16, 2017

Yes and no

I want to mention that I likely won't post this often again for some time. I'm starting a new gig next week and that will likely keep my mind and body occupied for awhile.

Anyway I was thinking about not talking. I was thinking about the power of a simple affirmative. I love to say yes to people. It is by far my preferred response to any question. It has become such a happy sound. Even if I am affirming the horrible reality, affirming is peaceful and uplifting to me.

Even if you ask me: have you been suicidal? Even that dark question lights me up to say yes. It's an inky void I'm in to be an advocate of writing and good communication speaking on the virtues of not communicating. I really do write just to get the ideas out. It gives me some peace to know that should I die I leave behind what is essentially me in this moment. It's my dream to write a good book. Not because I crave fame. Fuck fame, fuck money and fuck reputation. Not one of them stack up to the utter beauty of the written word.

I want to write a good book because if I write a book that you enjoy reading it you'll remember it. Memory is the greatest currency I can trade in. If you remember my work you remember me. If you remember me I'll live on as long as that memory does. Which is why I am such a huge fan of the format of the novel. Christ himself communicated his ideas with stories. So if I can find the right story, the right words, perhaps my words could live 2000 years. You want really impressive, look at Moses. Of course the works attributed to Moses may or may not have been written by him. More to the point they are never credited as his words. He was supposedly recording what God told him to write.

I never have figured out how much of the Bible is shaped by propaganda of the time. A good example is the story of King David. I have no doubt there was a real man. However how do we separate the man from the myth. I think of the stories of David as stories parents told to children. A mother might scold their child warning them not to behave as a particular biblical figure did. Or a mentor might coach those under their training to be as obedient as Moses or David. So by the time the stories were written down there may be a little historical warping present.

Anyway, that's the challenge.

No is powerful as well, yet it's frequently unpleasant to say. I think it takes more energy. Then there are times I get into a habit of saying no. Which bothers me.

No comments:

Post a Comment