Thursday, April 16, 2015

the pragmatic approach to goals

On my drive home today I was thinking about the correct attitude towards problems.

This has been an item of meditation for several years.

I have heard that success is seeing opportunity where others see disaster, which to my training sounds like sound denial of facts and possible delusion.

Oh, I'm in a sour mood, I'm writing to deal, and I don't want to complain.

So we come back to the idea of problems.

The dictionary definition of problem is:
"a matter or situation regarded as unwelcome or harmful and needing to be dealt with and overcome."
The original usage was referring to a tough riddle or academic puzzle.

Which says something to my precision, in that if problems were good they would not be problems.

Despite having a morality which very much centers on that complaining or wallowing in issues doesn't solve them, I struggle with feeling sorry for myself.

If only I could do better. Which is the definition of a pointless thought. It does nothing to move matters forward and therefor shouldn't even exist in a logical mind.

Depression and lack of good chemicals likely enter into my current weakness in regards to poor thought patterns.

I think another contributing factor is lack of direction.

Once again I evaluated my path today, and found it unsatisfactory. My goal for a path is one that brings me to contented peace in 5 years or less (sometimes 10 years..... the rewards have to be exponentially higher).

I have brought the brunt of my analytic ability against the net difference between what I think will satisfy me and my ability to acquire the needed resources.

For example, the ideal life goal I had.... which, as I try to explain, is more what I had hoped God would provide yet it seemed he was allowing me free reign to scramble for myself. Anyway, if I took out a loan today for the amount needed it would be 43k a month with a 30 year term. Which would put me at 57 and very very run down and out of resources.
I tried another calculation, in another state, a less ideal set up. 7k a month, which is achievable, but at a 30 year term........ and of course both of these rely on money I haven't seen yet (but kind of think exists).

So I'm going to start from the other end, with my resources and attempt to provide myself with the best I can from that.
I am currently worth 30k a year. I can keep going at my current rate for another 13 years. Assuming I can put back 1k a year and net 6-7k from liquidating my current investments that makes a nest egg of 17k. That's just not going to go very far, with projections of the future value of the dollar being what they are.
Oh and I couldn't even pay off my student debt with that, so forget it.
So, let's just write off this year, because if I break even I will be doing quite well.
Now, let's try another model, the engineering school model:
Negative 8k a year for 3 years, at least.
so that makes another 18k for a minimum total of 36k in debt.
70-90k gross for 9 remaining years (subtract 32k for living expenses yearly) which means a net gain of 30-50k yearly, which means debt free in two years.
7 remaining years at 30k yearly is 210k nest egg.
All the below calculations are just patently wrong because I missed some numbers. The total removed is 90k.
Which we can budget out. Assuming we go for one of the less expensive counties, we can set up homestead for 40k. 100k remaining, remove 30k for first two years food expenses waiting to become independent. 70k remaining.
Property tax is between 200 dollars and 400 a year. Let's assume I live as long as Granddad, so 50 years of property taxes. That comes to a mean 20k. Remember I'm assuming I never make another dollar for the rest of my life, that is my dream of happiness.

120k remaining. Figure whatever with what remains.

Now for the lineman option. I'm only allowing 10 years for this one. 4 years of 38k average. Which comes to 6-7k a year net gain 24k after those years. Which would make me debt free at that point. 65k a year for 6 more years, which nets 33k a year 31k a year after tax. 31 times six 180k nest egg.
which leaves 90k when all is said and done. Two solid plans. Logic wins over emotion every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment