Monday, April 20, 2015

On a less philosophical note

I don't want the reader to get the idea that I sit around sad/reflective/philosophical all the time. It's really not often, which is reflected by my recent lack of posts.

So in a lighter note, this is what I did with Friday night to Sunday night:
I built a custom mod pack for minecraft. The basic idea was to replicate my previous pack (that has been ongoing for the past two months for 1.7.2) but in 1.7.1.

It sounded deceptively simple, but given the time it took me to initialize my old pack named Banshee, I wasn't naive to the challenges. Further this isn't my first attempt to build a 1.7.1 pack. I well and truly love extra utilities (compressed cobble, nuff said) and as well as my memories of Thermal Expansion and the rest of the mods that use that core. So it was worth another weekend to try and make that happen.

For those uninterested in the drama I succeeded, mostly.

The first challenge was gathering the mods. I had most of them hanging around my computer, including some that were cross compatible for 1.7.2 but I hadn't added yet. I have been checking the website for the above mods daily for two months, finally I decided if they weren't going to come to me, I'd come to them.

There were some losses I was ready for. One was losing compact windmills..... it's a surprisingly big loss considering it's only a 4-8 block add on for industrialcraft2. The bigger loss is in world gen. I am yet to find an ideal/dreamy world gen in 1.7.1. That's what got me stuck on 1.7.2 to begin with.

My first attempt to merge started with a fresh install. I dragged EVERY mod into the folder.... before booting. It never booted. My earlier tries had focused on finding an acceptable modpack out there (FTB is especially cool for sources) and tweak it until I had something that could work. My computer, however, can't handle most modpacks unless I build them.

So I installed and booted my new pack before adding any mods. I named it Herman in stark contrast to my previous grand names for projects based on mythic beasts. Herman is after Herman's Hermits which was an obsession of my youth. Also Herman Munster, because I love that show. So that booted, good start. Still had a dud mod, which I had to negotiate with the source over. By negotiate I mean I complained in the comments section that the download wouldn't complete, and left it alone for two hours.

The big hold outs were Modular Force Field System (along with resonant engine) and the entire DragonAPI. Neither ever cooperated.

But around Saturday I had a working pack, until I realized I was missing Waila and the buildcraft suite.... which to their credit integrated successfully. However somehow this addition caused repeated crashes.

At this point I suffered from some problems to do with my memory issues. I forgot that I only had 8 gigs of memory, and I gave up for the night.

The next day I did troubleshooting for lost memory, only to discover after taking the back off that in fact I did have 8 gigs installed. So I had to adapt to the memory I had. Somehow the entire instance corrupted (multiple times ultimately to the point that it wasn't worth repair), so I had to recreate it, a bit leaner. Still problems. I added Optifine and Fastcraft, and finally everything worked (apart from the above holdouts). I plan to enjoy it myself, but I know someday I will find a project that motivates me. Until then, this is a nice hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment