Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Jonah

Regular readers will be aware of my fondness of literary allusions. Last night I was mulling over philosophy trying to get to sleep and I came once again to the concepts from Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut. Without a doubt the book has been a major influence on both my philosophy and spiritual life. Which is odd considering he wasn't Christian.
The book starts out with references to the biblical Jonah. The author references the concept of being where you are supposed to be, and such forces being unavoidable. Later he puts it more succinctly: "Strange travel plans are dancing lessons from God." Which is to say that whenever things are going particularly oddly, perhaps there is something more going on.

It is this point that has often come out as an explanation for the immovable nature of my perceived obstacles. I think about being drawn to Shadow Mountain, how it felt as though strange hands picked me up and placed me there, then proceeded to use me to ends other than my own. Not that I did too bad myself.

Yet I had been resistant to consider my most recent career adventures as such heavenly doings, considering as they are not nurturing to my intellect or artistic soul and have continued to blunt my body and my senses. I realize now that perhaps that isn't the only way to look at it. It was while reading Foundation by Asimov that I realized that a project could be completely fraudulent and yet righteous and worth doing. An alien concept, yet in line with the Christian virtues of humility and obedience.

Because the thing is God doesn't call us to fit a mold for an ideal human(if only it were so simple), he provides the tools which bring us in line with his plan. The cutting away of self serving interest isn't easy, and it is my personal belief that it will never be complete on this plane of existence. By degrees I see his work, and though it brings me no pleasure or joy, there is a certain assured-ness in knowing that the work I do is towards purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment