Wednesday, August 7, 2013

something I never talk about, body image

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uns4-r0jGlw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So, this is the sort of thing I watch, I've read probably 15 books or so on the subject of diet and exercise. Let me summarize and save you a TON of heartache and trouble.

Summary of all gym books and magazines: "None of those guys have any idea what they are talking about. They may say their science is real but my science is WAY more real. I got ripped on this plan, you can too."
About 12-30 pages of THAT.
Then it's: "Uncomfortable diet, heavy exercise."

I want to talk about the whole industry of men's health. It's a big pyramid scheme of that there are some really ripped dudes out there. Did they get there by hard work? Perhaps, but the real key to LOOKING ripped? low body fat percentage. As you age this get's LOTS harder. Not to mention if you want to go from 25 percent body fat (which is low AVERAGE, where I was at the beginning of the summer) to 7-9 percent body fat (and I have been working out like crazy for the past 4 months and still am NOT there) you have to have way more resources to devote to it. One key I believe is lower stress makes goals like this easier. If you live a lifestyle where you have to take anti anxiety medicine to GET THROUGH THE DAY....... getting ripped is going to be harder. My anti anxiety medicine, for example, makes me eat. Like I start to feel like I don't know how to go on breathing if I don't eat right after I take the stuff. Anti depressants are 10 times worse. Now it is a fact I could live without anti anxiety medicine, but at that point I could not work where I do and do what I do. The frankly superhuman level of patience I have with the BS I see on a daily basis has a chemical root. I don't know how to do it any other way.

Now to the psychological root of this whole desire, it's vanity, pure and simple. I'm already strong, but it's not enough. Not while I'm not pushing myself, going farther every day to be the best.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JuYeHPFR3f0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

haha, yes exactly. Did you ever notice that Ash is the worst trainer ever? He let all kinds of legendary Pokemon just get away, not catching them all is what I'm saying. Why are we leaving saving the world to a preteen? I mean that's just plain irresponsible. Alright, I'm stopping.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I have a certain amount of male vanity and pride still. I've been so completely humbled when it comes to my career, my life, realizing it's God's not mine. Realizing that it really doesn't matter if I'm doing what I want for a living, or if I'm where I want to be. If he says I need to be there, then that's what I need to abide by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment