Sunday, February 28, 2016

Bait and switch

Normally I'd be elliptical and evasive about the crap that's happening to me, but fuck that. If you respect me so little as to change your story every 18 hours I no longer have the respect to not call your crap out. This company flat out lied to me. They said I needed to be ready to make major sacrifices to obtain minor gains and being me I accepted it: Turn the other cheek (Matthew 5:39), forgive your brother (Matthew 18:22), Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's (Mark 12:17, Matthew 21:22)
Or to go to philosophical sources: Strange travel plans are dancing lessons from God and Bokonon's method for handling Caesar (his paraphrase of the last two verses): Bokonon’s paraphrase was this:
“Pay no attention to Caesar. Caesar doesn’t have the slightest idea what’s really going on.”
Both are quotes from Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (1963).

The point being that I did not resist the bullcrap, I began to adapt to attempt to thrive under their tyranny. That is the biblical/christian approach to the problem as far as I can tell. Then, after I had it all figured out they pulled the rug out from under me. Pulled out the challenge, reward, and whole ball of wax. This is the central flaw of the capitalist relationship between the worker and conglomerate. The conglomerate takes minimal risk (to itself) and reaps ample profits whether the risk pays or not. The individual is forced to absorb the actual liability of the risk that the conglomerate bought into without sufficient knowledge of the nature of said risk to assess whether the rewards are worth it.

This is a horrible place to be a human, because humans have needs. Humans have bills to pay and bodies to keep alive. Companies do not suffer the same limitations. If they behave unethically, punish those who trust them, where is the punishment? Will their mortgages be late? No. Because they don't answer to the worker. Many don't even answer to the consumer. Companies do business with other companies and do not need us anymore. This is why we need change, and even Bernie doesn't have a fucking clue about how to fix this.

No comments:

Post a Comment